First things first, what is Drupal 8? Well, Drupal 8 is the biggest update in Drupal history. It is said to be way easier to create content and every built in theme is responsive design. With over 200 new features, Drupal 8 has made its appearance. Drupal 8 is an improved suite of tools and features not seen in Drupal 7 and can be the application backbone for your projects. A few months ago we discussed how you can benefit from Drupal 8 . But now, let’s talk about migration and things you may want to consider.
Drupal 8 Migration:
Apple comes out with a new iPhone every how many months? Joking, but we all know that it seems like they are constantly creating a mad rush for people to upgrade to the next best thing. Same is true with Drupal, there is no right or wrong time to migrate to Drupal 8, however, if you want to be up-to-date with the latest cutting edge technology you typically choose to migrate just as you would get the newest version of the iPhone.
Things to consider whenever migrating to Drupal 8:
- The availability of modules from the community- many of them have not yet been fully converted to Drupal 8.
- Do you have any custom modules that will have to be ported to Drupal 8?
- Is your theme available for Drupal 8 or does it need to be ported (converted) to Drupal 8?
- Does all content need to be migrated? This may be a good time to prune your content.
- If your site is complex, you may require additional modules, and possibly custom modules to help migrate.
What are your Drupal needs? Feel free to get in touch so we can discuss your next Drupal project.